Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
Reports to: Livestock Manager
Full Time, Seasonal
Pay Range: $16-$18 per hour
The Livestock Assistant is responsible for the care of chickens, turkeys, rabbits, sheep, cows, and future animals as planned and is expected to occasionally participate in all phases of poultry slaughter with our Poultry Processing crew. Previous farm or ranch experience is required. The position is full-time, with a variable seasonal work schedule. Limited affordable housing on-site is available.
Livestock Assistant Essential Functions
● Daily care and management of animals with high animal welfare protocols
● Predator control, fence management, and flood contingency planning
● Works as part of a team with scheduling, locations of livestock, execution of production, pasture management
● Examines livestock for illness or disease and advises designated personnel of action to be taken or secures veterinarian services
● Inspects facilities and equipment to ensure compliance with sanitation standards and to determine maintenance and repair requirements
● Helps to maintain records, such as livestock production, sales, and reports, required by government regulations, including maintaining complete and orderly certified organic paperwork
● Helps maintain inventory and quality in cold storage and freezer
● Assist in occasional tours and guest relations where they include livestock
● Assist, when necessary, with all aspects of poultry slaughter and processing
Skills and Experience:
We are looking for a positive, reliable, responsible, and hardworking individual who has a strong desire to work with livestock and processing on an organic farm.
● A minimum of 12 months professional experience with animal husbandry, livestock management, and/or poultry processing. A degree from an Agricultural accredited college is preferred but not required.
● Ability to drive manual transmission trucks with a livestock trailer safely is required (will train.)
● Ability to drive heavy equipment, tractors (will train.)
● Knowledge and comfort with all aspects of pasture management.
● Attention to detail is critical and a passion for working with livestock is essential.
● The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, including heavy objects (50+ lbs.) working outside in all variety of weather and conditions, and working around animals.
● Proven interpersonal skills with the strong ability to work with a team of peers.
● Comfortable working independently and with a team to achieve goals
● Organizational and record keeping skills
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to follow directions and problem solve
● Ability to multi-task and work with a sense of urgency
● Valid driver’s license
● Background check
● This is a year-round, full-time paid position
● $16- $18 /hour
● Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and more!
● Fresh air, vegetables, eggs, working with an amazing team with fantastic views
Carnation Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Carnation Farms does not discriminate or determine employment on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender identity, age, or any other factor; employment decisions are made only on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs. Carnation Farms is committed to an environment of mutual respect and maintains a zero-tolerance policy in regard to discrimination or harassment of any kind.
This position is open until filled, we hope to have our dream team together in the next few weeks! Email your resume, cover letters, and 2 references to email@example.com Please include answers to the following:
1. Why you are interested in working at Carnation Farms?
2. When are you available to start? Do you need housing?
3. What previous experiences qualify you for the position?
4. Why you?