Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
At Carnation Farms we believe that differences are healthy, and that our community should reflect the rich variety of people, backgrounds and perspectives found in the communities we serve. We foster a business atmosphere that encourages each person be their best selves. Join us, and help us be stronger together!
Field crew members are responsible for all daily farm operations. Field Crew members use the tractors and equipment, manage propagation and high tunnels, field cultivate, irrigate, harvest, post-harvest handling, distribution, record keeping, farmer’s market sales, and animal care. The majority of work requires the physical capability to contribute daily in a rigorous, fast-paced agricultural setting; creating an incredibly rewarding, yet demanding work environment and life experience. Limited affordable housing on-site is available, please ask if interested.
Reports to: Director of Agricultural Production
Field Crew Essential Functions
- Harvesting (All harvesting is done by hand)
- Post-Harvest/Wash Station work (washing, bunching, quality control, packing)
- Planting (hand transplanting, planting with push seeders, hand seeding)
- Irrigation set-up (drip tape, overhead sprinklers)
- High Tunnel Crop Production & Trellising
- Tillage, Cultivation, Weeding & Thinning (tractors, wheel hoes, stirrup hoes, hand weeding)
- Livestock (feeding, moving coops, collecting eggs, egg washing, watering)
- Pest and Disease Control
- Fertilizing & Composting
- Seed Saving, Cover Cropping and Soil Management
- Farmers Markets and CSA distribution
Skills and Experience:
We are looking for a positive, reliable, responsible, and hardworking individual who has a strong desire to work on an organic farm.
- Previous farm or landscape experience is required. A degree from an Agricultural accredited college preferred.
- It is essential that candidates are committed to the farming lifestyle and all that it demands.
- Ability to drive manual transmission trucks with a livestock trailer safely is required.
- Attention to detail is critical and a passion for growing food essential
- The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, including lifting heavy objects (50+ lbs.), working outside in all variety of weather and conditions, and working around animals
- Proven interpersonal skills with the strong ability to work with a team of peers
- Ability to stay for the whole season (April-November).
- Comfortable working independently
- Organizational skills, record keeping, and directing the work of others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to follow directions and problem solve
- Ability to multi-task and work with a sense of urgency
- Valid driver’s License
- Background check
To apply, please submit a resume with references and a cover letter to email@example.com answering the following questions:
- Why you are interested in working at Carnation Farms?
- What previous experiences qualify you for this position? Please include past job experience and 3 references.
- Why should we hire you?
- When can you start? Do you need housing?
- What is your favorite vegetable to grow and why?