Carnation Farms is a community-based hub for regenerative food and agriculture that educates and empowers the work of culinary, food, and farming professionals.
We aspire to help create a thriving regional food system connecting farmers and culinary professionals around shared values of regenerative food, health and equity.
Field Crew Member
Full Time Temporary Position
Reports to: Field Crew Lead, Keane. Farm Manager Crops, Eric.
The field crew works primarily in the 14 acre certified organic farm that is overseen by the Farm Manager, Crops. Our typical workweek is Monday-Friday from 8 am – 5 pm. However, hours may shift or include overtime depending on the season and the scope of work to complete. This can include but is not limited to one weekend a month of greenhouse duty (~2 hours Saturday and Sunday), staffing for after hours culinary events in the garden, and occasional weekend events such as our plant sale or farm tours.
The farm produces vegetables, herbs, apples, and hay. The farms’ practices include a combination of regenerative and organic practices with a focus on low till, animal integration through grazing, and habitat restoration.
This position is responsible for a variety of tasks on the farm including:
- HAND WEEDING (plan to do A LOT of weeding, as we are organic we use no herbicide)
- Harvesting (All harvesting is done by hand)
- Post-Harvest/Wash Station work (washing, bunching, quality control, packing)
- Planting (hand transplanting, planting with push seeders, hand seeding)
- Irrigation set-up (drip tape, overhead sprinklers)
- High Tunnel Crop Production & Trellising (tomatoes, peppers, melons)
- Tillage, Cultivation (tractors, cultivators, spike harrow, finger weeder, flame weeder, bed shaper)
- Pest & Disease Control (organic approved pesticides, row cover, interplanting)
- Cover Cropping and Soil Management
- Help managing small groups of volunteers
- Recordkeeping to maintain compliance with organic certification including all production, irrigation, harvest, sales logs, daily forms, efficiency tracking with harvest and weeding
- Operate agricultural equipment
- Occasionally assist in set up and tear down of events in garden, including farm-to-table dinners and workshops
- A POSITIVE ATTITUDE IS A MUST. We would rather have inexperienced employees with a positive attitude than experienced ones with a negative attitude. When things get tough, and they will, attitude makes all the difference. Expect your employment to be cut short with a negative attitude.
- Available for full-time, seasonal work, April – November with limited vacation (2 long weekends, one before solstice, and one after)
- Ability to work hard; standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling: to lift, push and pull heavy objects, up to 50lbs: perform physical work such as digging or planting
- Ability to thrive under challenging conditions and be flexible and respond to changes that arise due to schedule change or adverse weather conditions
- Positive attitude
- Consistent attention to detail
- Basic knowledge of organic vegetable production and a genuine curiosity to learn more
- Interest in the educational side of agriculture
- Experience working with volunteers in a garden setting
- Ability to stay organized while juggling multiple projects simultaneously
- Be able to take direction and ask for clarification if needed
- Must adhere to safety protocols at all times (GAP certification expected sometime in 2024)
- Able to pass a background check including driving record
- Valid driver’s license
- CPR/First Aid (we will provide upon hire)
- 5 days paid sick leave which can be used at employee’s discretion as vacation time
- Housing available for a flat rate of $500/month
If you want to make a difference every day in support of the mission of Carnation Farms and have the experience and capabilities required for this position, please send your resume along with a cover letter explaining how your qualifications are a fit and why you are passionate about this role to EricP@carnationfarms.org
Carnation Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Carnation Farms does not discriminate or determine employment on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender identity, age, or any other factor; employment decisions are made only on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs. Carnation Farms is committed to an environment of mutual respect and maintains a zero-tolerance policy in regard to discrimination or harassment of any kind. Carnation Farms also values the power of diverse lived experiences and perspectives. We will accept applications until filled. Reference and background checks for finalists are part of the recruiting process of Carnation Farms.