Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that America wants to eat.
We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
Job Title: DIRECTOR OF SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE
Department: Sustainable Agriculture
Carnation Farm is a certified organic, mixed vegetable farm with a large livestock program. We certify over 600 acres organic on our 818-acre property. The Director of Sustainable Agriculture role is a boots in the soil position that manages vegetable crop production, tillage, soil and pasture health, the CSA, Farmers Markets, and wholesale, and provides support and direction for Farm-Based Education, Farmers-in-Training, Livestock and Poultry processing teams. The Director maintains the organic integrity of the farm and conducts strategic planning for annual budget, and reports on all aspects of sustainable agriculture to management, Board of Directors, and regulatory agencies. Provides strategic direction and delivery of mission programming content for Carnation Farms.
Reports to: Executive Director
Provides supervision to: Livestock Manager, Poultry Processing Manager, Education Manager, Field Manager and Farmer in Training Lead, Production Manager and Field Crew Lead, Seasonal field crew
Responsibilities: Serves as the Farm Manager- responsible for planning, production, maintenance of vegetables, herbs, berries and flowers
- Field cultivation, crop management, soil health, fertility, weed management, crop rotation
- High tunnel production for warm season crops and some winter production
- Plan and implement crop production for all sales revenues (CSA, Farmers Markets, Wholesale,
- Farm Stand and Culinary program). Creates daily harvest lists.
- Responsible for all aspects of organic certification for crops, livestock and processing
- Analysis and forecasting production outcomes for on-site sales and food use and offsite sales
- Conducts analysis and strategic planning for annual budget for all program areas
- Directs and monitors key production elements in regards to staffing and weekly scheduling
- Directs year-round livestock care and management (100+ head of cattle, chickens, turkeys, sheep, and rabbits)
- Maintains over 250 acres of pastures for grazing, haylage and hay production
- Directs and mentors farm-based education program (farm camp and team rooted programs)
- Directs on-farm poultry processing team (on farm processing for chickens, turkeys and rabbits + local farmers and customers)
- Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates seasonal Ag team staff, including farmer-in-training participants
- Aids in development of curriculum, apprenticeship program, collaborations and partnerships with schools, farms, local organizations, restaurants, growers, and other farm entities in the Snoqualmie valley and beyond
- Oversees the safety of farm program participants and coordination with other departments
- Maintains relationships with local food system and agriculture organizations and entities
Training and Experience:
- Personnel management and leadership experience
- 7+ years’ farming in sustainable Ag production systems
- 3+ years’ experience in program delivery for youth, Ag-related preferred
- Prior experience working with non-profit organization
- Fluent computer skills – data entry, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in agriculture, food systems or education
- Vegetable crop production, pasture health and livestock
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills and problem-solving ability
- Formulate, organize, monitor and coordinate inter-connected projects and events
- Apply change, risk and resource management to all programs
- Lead and evaluate farm team staff
- Develop deadlines, budgets and activities
- Succinct reporting
- Must be flexible and adaptable to the demands and requirements of an environment with multiple and frequently changing and demanding priorities
- Valid driver’s license
- Background check
- Current CPR/First Aid
Working Conditions: (percentages are approximations)
- 75% in participation in sustainable Ag activities
- 25% in office and computer work
- Able to lift, carry, push and pull up to 50 lbs.
- Time standing, bending, reaching, walking and sitting based on job requirements.
- Able to operate heavy machinery, tractors, hook up implements, field cultivation
- Salary range: $70-80K
- Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, 401K match and more!
- Fresh air, vegetables, eggs and working with an amazing team with fantastic views.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org