Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
At Carnation Farms we believe that differences are healthy, and that our community should reflect the rich variety of people, backgrounds and perspectives found in the communities we serve. We foster a business atmosphere that encourages each person be their best selves. Join us, and help us be stronger together!
Part or Full Time Mechanic-Equipment Operator Position
The Mechanic-Equipment Operator position supports the facilities and operations team by providing repairs and servicing to our fleet of equipment, year-round mowing, brushing, and plowing, as well as contributing other skills and expertise to projects across the farm and its complex of historical buildings. We are looking to hire a full or part-time mechanic and equipment operator capable of maintaining old and new tractors, loaders, dozers, mowers, trucks, golf carts, and small engines with support, and is willing to contribute to year-round heavy equipment work on the farm. To be successful, you should have some experience assessing, troubleshooting, servicing, and repairing older and new model tractors and equipment, be familiar with some types of equipment and their operation, and be willing to learn. Ultimately, an exceptional mechanic-operator should demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and ensure that all tasks are completed in a timely manner and within budget constraints. As part of a small team, you will have the opportunity to learn and grow with the organization, contribute to world-class programs, and help shape the future of a growing nonprofit.
Mechanic-Equipment Operator Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Assessing the need for repairs and service of equipment fleet
- Providing and logging routine service for vehicles and equipment
- Conducting light repairs on tractors, loaders, and other farm equipment
- Conducting light repairs on trucks, vans, golf carts, and mowers
- Operating mowing and brushing equipment at various scales
- Operating hay loading, grading, and farm equipment
- Operating quads, gators, golf carts, and hand-held machinery
- Contributing to construction and operations projects of all types
- Performing cleanups of job sites by clearing away all debris and waste
- Full time positions may be placed into a weekend “on-call” rotation in time
Mechanic-Equipment Operator Position Requirements:
- A minimum of a GED and at least one year of experience maintaining equipment
- Some experience operating farm equipment, mowers and plows
- A valid driver’s license, clear driving record, and reliable transportation to and from work
- Sound knowledge of machine use, best practices, and safety procedures
- Physical strength, stamina, and the ability to repeatedly lift and carry 50 pounds
- The ability to safely use hand and power tools, as well as work from a ladder or lift
- Heightened attention to detail and follows direction with positive attitude
- Willingness and curiosity to learn, self-starter, keeps busy with useful tasks
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to Stand, walk, or work in diverse indoor/outdoor conditions for 8+ hours.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
To apply send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org