Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
Mechanic-Equipment Operator (FT/PT)
We are looking to hire a full or part-time operator capable of maintaining old and new tractors, loaders, dozers, mowers, trucks, golf carts, and small engines with support, and is willing to contribute to year-round equipment operations on the farm. Making hay, moving bales and pasture maintenance is part of this position. To be successful, you should have some experience assessing, troubleshooting, servicing, and repairing older and new model tractors and equipment, be familiar with farm equipment and their operation, and be willing to learn. Ultimately, the mechanic-operator should demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and ensure that all tasks are completed in a timely manner and within budget constraints. This position is part of the Ag and Facilities teams.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Assessing the need for repairs and service of equipment fleet
- Routine service for vehicles, tractors and equipment
- Conducting light repairs on tractors, loaders, and other farm equipment
- Conducting light repairs on trucks, vans, golf carts, and other farm vehicles
- Making hay, loading/moving hay, selling hay, pasture maintenance
- Performing various stages of tractor work [spading, discing, bed making, cultivating, seeding, spraying, mowing, grading, and other related tasks]
- Operating quads, gators, golf carts, and hand-held machinery
- Experience operating and maintaining farm equipment
- Sound knowledge of machine use, best practices, and safety procedures
- Physical strength, stamina, and the ability to repeatedly lift and carry 50 pounds
- The ability to safely use hand and power tools, as well as work from a ladder or lift
- Heightened attention to detail and follows direction with positive attitude
- Willingness and curiosity to learn, self-starter, keeps busy with useful tasks
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to Stand, walk, or work in diverse indoor/outdoor conditions for 8+ hours.
Carnation Farms Equipment includes:
- Tractors: JD, Ford and Landini, JD Combine
- Vehicles and trailers: Standard automatic transmission 4WD trucks, dump truck, flatbed and goose neck trailers
- Hay Equipment: squeeze, mower, rake, round bailer + wrapper
- Forklift, Bobcat, Toolcat
- Cultivation: Hillside Model CS
- Seeder: Drill and vacuum
- Tillage: Spader, rototiller, power harrow
- Irrigation: Idrofoglia J2 irrigation reel, drip, overhead
- Mowers: flail, rotary, zero-turn and batwing mowers
To apply send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org