Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
Job Title: Full charge Bookkeeper
Reports To: Director of Finance / Controller, Executive Director
This position is responsible for the daily accounting activities for Carnation Farms, ensuring all bookkeeping entries are accurate. This individual will also be responsible for cash management, completing full monthly accounting reconciliation and preparing monthly financial reports by department. This position will also assist with preparing annual budgets, compiling records for agency wide audit, assisting CPA with 990 tax preparation, filing monthly sales tax and managing assets.
• Management and processing of Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, purchase orders, credit card receipts / reconciliation and vendor records
• Process A/R and cash receipts including website orders, Farmstand sales, Sustainable AG sales, donations, lease payments and any other cash receipts
• Code and enter A/P invoices and credit card charges into the accounting system.
• Review invoices to ensure proper account codes are used and corresponding purchase orders are approved
• Process Accounts Payable bills, purchase orders, contracts and produce weekly A/P checks
• Follow detailed monthly reconciliation process including reconciling bank accounts, A/P, A/R, G/L accounts, monthly JV entries, culinary reports and preparation of farm event P&Ls
• Maintain inventory records of hay, farmstand and culinary, prepare reports and journal entries, and reconcile to ledger;
• Daily monitoring of bank accounts and credit cards to ensure transactions are accurate and to monitor for fraudulent activity
• Monthly bank and credit card account reconciliations
• Oversight of POS system and iPads for use in the Farmstand and AG depts. ensuring units are available and are in good working order
• Set up new items in Square with proper tracking location and tax codes
• Make weekly bank deposits
• Follow internal controls as outlined in the accounting manual
• Act as a backup for payroll processing and oversee import of payroll data into QuickBooks
Additional responsibilities –
• Support Executive Director / Directors with contracts, which may include obtaining signatures, pursuing and documenting insurance certificates, scanning and/or copying documents, communications with contractors/suppliers, maintaining complete and accessible files on the Shared drive, maintaining hard files as needed
• Maintain and manage permitting.
Training and Experience:
•Knowledge of accrual accounting with 5+ years’ experience. Nonprofit experience is a plus.
• Experience with A/R and A/P processing and cash management. Experience with monthly reconciliation process and preparation of monthly financial statements by department.
• Computer skills (emphasis on use of QuickBooks, Word, and Excel)
• Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills
• Accurate, detail-focused record keeping skills
• Ability to see the big picture of all the parts, and still value each small part of the smoothly functioning whole
• Must be flexible and adaptable to the demands and requirements of an environment with multiple and frequently changing and pressing priorities
• Individual is expected to maintain strict confidentiality and consistently apply practices, procedures and internal precedent decisions in regard to all financial and personnel issues.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience
Working Conditions (percentages are approximations)
• 80% in environmentally controlled offices
• 10% in on-site meetings and participation in farm activities
• 10% remote work option.
• Able to lift, carry, push and pull up to 20lbs
• Able to work at desk / computer for several hours at a time
Qualifications and Certifications
• Pass background check
• Valid Driver’s License
To Apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including your resume and cover letter.