Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
Farm Camp Counselor (Seasonal)
Reports to: Education Manager
Full Time, Seasonal
Pay Range: $16-$18 per hour (DOE)
Carnation Farms is looking for inspired camp counselors for the 2022 season. We offer week-long day camps for ages 7-11 focused on connecting campers to the food system through play, place-based learning, cooking & garden projects, arts & science, community, and exploration of our large working farm (and farm animals!) Our two Farm Camp Counselors will work closely with the Education Manager and Farm Team to create and deliver all the camp programming.
We are looking for individuals who are dedicated to empowering youth and improving their teaching practice. They should have some experience with gardening, farming, and earth-based sciences. The ideal candidate will be an excellent multitasker, patient, fun-loving, and confident in their ability to motivate and assist youth in learning new skills and exploring a growing environment. This position is an ideal space to explore experiential education or hone your teaching skills, we are committed to the professional development of our Educators.
This seasonal full-time position runs Monday through Friday, working outside for 8 hours a day. Farm Camp Counselors must be available June 20- August 24, including five days of training at the beginning and three days of debriefing at the end of the program. You must be available for the entire length of the program.
Responsible for the operations and execution of the Carnation Farms Summer Farm Camps
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exhibit integrity and values contributing to a successful team at all times; equally share in the fun, hard, and dirty work involved in camp activities.
- Coordinate and lead campers during all daily activities; facilitate lesson plans and flow between activities and free time.
- Thorough commitment to low-absenteeism.
- Help set up equipment and supplies needed for daily camp activities.
- Supervise drop-off and pick-up of campers according to safety protocols.
- Act as the first line of daily communication with parents.
- Maintain a positive environment; inspire curiosity in learning.
- Mediate any conflicts that may arise among campers.
- Coordinate daily snack and lunchtime.
- Work with the team to break down and pack up camp supplies at the end of each day.
- Follow all protocols to ensure the safety of campers and counselors; respond to emergencies.
- Maintain camp counselor emergency kits; ensure they are fully stocked with the correct paperwork, first aid, and essential items.
- Follow COVID (ever evolving) protocols.
Experience and Education:
- Experience in educational program delivery for the public, preferred camp or school background
- Education and/or Agricultural studies experience preferred
- Must be 18 to apply
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills, with a great sense of humor
- Demonstrated experience motivating, fostering individual potential, building trusted relationships, and interacting effectively and appropriately with youth
- Genuine love of working with youth
- Interest or experience in farming, food systems, place-based education
- Self-starter with excellent communication skills and problem-solving abilities
- Adaptable in accomplishing a variety of tasks at the same time
- Ability to work outside in extreme conditions and keep up with a multitude of children.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and morph any experience into a learning opportunity
- Creative and fun!
- Background check
- CPR/First Aid Certification
Carnation Farms will provide resources for CPR during training week, if you aren’t previously certified.
Carnation Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Carnation Farms does not discriminate or determine employment on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender identity, age, or any other factor; employment decisions are made only on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs. Carnation Farms is committed to an environment of mutual respect and maintains a zero-tolerance policy in regard to discrimination or harassment of any kind.
To Apply: Please send an email to email@example.com including your resume, cover letter, and 2 references. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Position open until filled.